WELCOME TO MIDLAND CHRISTIAN'S COLLEGE ADVISING SERVICES
Jardon Powell - College Guidance Counselor & Communications Director
Ms. Powell graduated from Baylor University in 2014. Shortly after she worked for the university's Office of Admissions as an Admissions Recruiter. Following her time at Baylor, she moved to Midland where she served as a college advisor for Trinity School before assuming her current role at Midland Christian. She is excited to help your students find their next step post-graduation, and is available for any questions you may have about the college admissions process.
- Junior High
- Planning for high school graduation and college admissions starts now! Are you considering Midland Christian's highest level of academic achievement and potentially earning automatic admissions from selected universities? First, plan to take Spanish and the higher-level math course in 7th and 8th grade. Next, plan to take honors core and elective classes in high school.
- Freshman Year
- Your official GPA starts freshman year and is one of the most important factors in college admission. Set yourself up for success senior year by focusing on your grades and more challenging courses this year!
- Get involved in extracurricular activities:
- Colleges want to see great academics but they also like to see school/life balance. Extracurricular activities are a great way to demonstrate that balance.
- Begin building your resume:
- Start a record of all work and volunteer service, as well as activities and awards that can be used for your resume.
- Use family vacations as an opportunity to see different college campuses:
- Campus visits are crucial when making a college decision. Take any opportunity you can to visit schools you're interested in!
- Sophomore Year
- Register and complete at least one ACT and one SAT test to get a baseline score that you can improve on your junior year
- Attend Midland Area College Fair at Midland College the first week in October
- Take the PSAT for practice in October
- Register through MCS for Midland College dual-credit classes or online college classes
- Junior Year
- Register and complete all ACT or SAT tests for college admissions by end of junior year
- Request Recommendation Letters
- Begin thinking about jobs that interest you and consider shadowing someone in that profession or finding an internship.
- Schedule college visits and tours
- Summer Before Senior Year
- Open an account with ApplyTx or the Common Application and begin completing general applications for college (Applications open July 1st and August 1st)
- Complete college essays
- Senior Year
- Send ACT or SAT test scores to potential colleges and universities
- Send in all applications to potential colleges by October 1st
- Fill out an online FAFSA form for financial aid beginning October 1st
- Search for scholarships
- Complete Texas Scholars Hours
- After Graduation
- Ms. Powell will send your transcript to your intended university.
- Attend orientation at your intended university and register for your fall freshman classes
- Consider taking online summer classes at Midland College
HOW TO BUILD A RESUME (College Essay Guy)
HOW TO WRITE A COLLEGE ESSAY