Welcome to Midland Christian's College Advising Services
My name is Jardon Powell and I am the College Guidance Counselor for Midland Christian. I am so excited to work with your students this year and am available in the office Monday - Friday! Please email me with any questions regarding your student's college plans.
Planning for high school graduation and college admissions starts now! Are you considering Midland Christian's highest level of academic achievement and potentially earning automatic admissions from selected universities? First, plan to take Spanish and the higher-level math course in 7th and 8th grade. Next, plan to take all honors core and elective classes in high school.
- Your official GPA starts freshman year and is one of the most important factors to college admission. Set yourself up for success senior year by focusing on your grades and more challenging courses this year!
- Get involved in extracurricular activities:
- Colleges want to see great academics but they also like to see school/life balance. Extracurricular activities are a great way to demonstrate that balance.
- Begin building your resume:
- Start a record of all work and volunteer service, as well as activities and awards that can be used for your resume.
- Use family vacations as an opportunity to see different college campuses:
- Campus visits are crucial when making a college decision. Take any opportunity you can to visit schools you're interested in!
- Register and complete at least one ACT and one SAT test to get a baseline score that you can improve on your junior year
- Attend Midland Area College Fair at Midland College the first week in October
- Take the PSAT for practice in October
- Register through MCS for Midland College dual-credit classes or online college classes
- Register and complete all ACT or SAT tests for college admissions by end of junior year
- Open an account with ApplyTx or the Common Application and begin completing general applications for college
- Complete college essays
- Create a ZeeMee online resume
- Schedule college visits and tours
- Send ACT or SAT test scores to potential colleges and universities
- Send in all applications to potential colleges by October 1st
- Fill out an online FAFSA form for financial aid by October 1st
- Search for scholarships